Wednesday, February 07, 2007

freewheelin' dylan


The title of this entry comes from the title my doula, Sarah, gave to her birth story account of Dylan's entry into the world. We received her account in the mail a little while ago and it is a wonderful gift that I will be sure to put into Dylan's baby book. The following is the story of Dylan's birth as told by Sarah. If you've ever had a child or watched A Baby Story on TLC, none of these details will surprise you. For the rest of you, just be aware that my labor and delivery is detailed. Don't worry--there aren't any gory details! As I typed this story into this blog entry, I enjoyed reminiscing about Dylan's birthday. Please enjoy!

Friday the 13th of October began for me as it usually does. I let the alarm go to snooze one too many times and then feigned rushing around while actually staring at the walls for minutes at a time as I prepared for the day. That particular morning, though, was not to end int he routine in which it started. When the phone rang with Carrie Gibson on the other end, I knew this day was going to be a lucky 13.

After she told me that contractions had started, Carrie and I agreed that she and Jon would see what happened and update me later in the day. I drove to work feeling excited and curious about how the next hours would play out.

The next call I got was from a slightly anxious-sounding Jon around noon. Carrie's contractions were stronger, they had visited the doctor and she was doing okay. Jon suggested that I come to their house when I got off work in another four hours; and I reminded him that I wanted to be there when they were ready to have me there. Half an hour later, I was heading to the Gibsons house.

Upon arriving I was greeted by their good friend Cassie, who also stayed with Carrie and Jon through the entire labor and birth. Cassie seemed kind and nurturing--I knew she would be an asset to the team. Through Carrie was upstairs when I came, she and Jon soon made their way down, and I joined their labor dance. The laboring mom was coping well and I could tell that she and Jon had practiced what they would do at this time. It seemed, though, like there was some nervousness in the room, so I suggested that we watch a movie or have some other activity to take some focus off labor. One and then another contraction stirred in Carrie, and the movie idea soon was forgotten.

For the next five hours, we all sat together, talking and breathing. The four of us found a rhythm, shifted positions, and rested in between the surges in Carrie's body. Through this time, Carrie continued to flash us smiles--though out of joy, excitement, fear, or courage I could not tell. She kept herself hydrated like a marathon runner and Jon hardly left her side. At times it seemed they were in a world of their own, sharing an amazing intimacy. It was to Jon that Carrie looked most often, his comforting embrace she sought as she progressed ever closer to introducing their baby to him and the world.

Towards the end of laboring at home Jon brought a framed picture of their baby for Carrie to see. For the next while, this was the image that helped her through each, ever-intensifying contraction. Though I had been timing on and off all afternoon, I could not detect a clear pattern for Carrie's contractions. For several, they would be close together and strong. Then there might be a lapse, or a couple light5er, shorter ones. It was clear that Carrie had progressed since I had arrived, her work had gotten longer and stronger steadily; but how much closer she was, I could not tell.

Finally, around 6:30 pm, Carrie and Jon decided it was time to call the doctor, who recommended they head to the hospital. The food that Cassie had made was abandoned half-eaten. Carrie seemed calm but ready to go as Jon tore around the house gathering and checking things. Cassie and I caravanned to Mission Hospital, having been quickly left behind by a speeding Jon.

We got to the Labor and Delivery room where Carrie, in a charming hospital gown, and Jon already were. There was a flurry of activity as the nurse admitted Carrie, explained that they were very busy that night, and checked Carrie's cervix. To the disappointment of the whole Gibson labor team, she was only four centimeters dilated out of the ten that would mean birth was imminent. Soon after, Dr. Simmons came in to chat with Carrie and Jon and to check Carrie's progress. At that time, she suggested that Carrie let her break her bag of waters. Before agreeing, Carrie asked what purpose the procedure had; and Dr. Simmons explained that it could speed labor. Carrie agreed and the doctor carried out the painless procedure (my personal note--this was not 100% painless!). I must admit that the suggestion made me nervous. We had been at the hospital for not even an hour and already the obstetrician was recommending interventions! Happily, though, this was the only intervention that was suggested to Carrie during her first stage of labor.

Jon selected music, the nurse brought in a birth ball, and we settled in for a long evening. Carrie showed further signs of progress, her contractions becoming more steady, longer, and stronger. During her hospital labor, she seemed to like sitting semi-reclined on the bed and being on her knees while resting her head and arms on the ball, rocking steadily.

Carrie and Jon spent some minutes by themselves in the bathroom several times while in labor. During one such time, Cassie and I draped a towel over the clock in the room to prevent Carrie from continuing to glance at it. Around 9:00 pm, the nurse checked Carrie again. Now she was at six centimeters, meaning she was almost through with the first two and by far, the longest phases of labor. Soon after, Carrie expressed for the first and only time to the group that she might want an epidural. Silence followed that statement until the nurse suggested Carrie try a bath first. Maybe it helped just voicing that possibility, but Carrie found renewed strength after that. We prepared for the most intense portion of labor and really began a rhythm with Jon tapping his hand to a particular breathing pattern for every contraction. While Jon provided a metronome and example, I reminded Carrie to listen to Jon's instruction, and Cassie held her hand and rubbed her back. At this time more than any other, I was awed by the respect and trust I saw displayed in the Gibsons teamwork. They absolutely carried each other through that most important passage to the pushing stage of labor, each giving total concentration every moment of this endeavor.
When it became almost too much to bear, Carrie struck a deal: if she had not progressed the next time a nurse checked her, she was going to ask for some anesthetic. This was around 11:00 pm and the nurse was due to come back to check fetal heart rate soon. As it sometimes goes, however, this time the nurse did not appear when expected. Finally a request from Jon brought not Carrie's harried nurse, but another. She checked Carrie's cervix and announced that she was at ten centimeters--ready to begin pushing. The news could not have been any better!

Another flurry of activity commenced as Carrie and the medical staff prepared for little Dylan's birth. When the laboring mom first began feeling a new kind of surging energy, the nurse instructed her on how to use all her power to push that baby down. Again, Carrie rose beautifully to the challenge with her cheerleading section behind her. Jon held her right leg, I held her left, and Cassie was beside Jon, at Carrie's head. The time for quiet concentration had passed. As each urge built, we all prepared to usher a stream to encouragement. Soon, Dylan's head was crowning and the staff brought in a mirror for Carrie to watch her baby's birth. She focused on that sight, on her baby's head that she could see right there and pushed him out of her body into her and Jon's waiting arms.
Carrie and Jon greeted their baby face-to-face for the first time.... Soon, a camera appeared to document Dylan Robert's arrival to the Gibson family. He was soon whisked off to the baby station with Jon in tow, while Carrie rested. Soon, Dylan was returned to his father's arms and the bustle slowed. I think Cassie and I were almost as proud of Carrie and Jon as Carrie and Jon were of tiny Dylan. Just after 2:00 am on Saturday, October 14, Cassie and I left. My task was completed. The Gibsons had just begun.

It's amazing to think that at the beginning of my labor Jon and I didn't know we would soon meet our son. We didn't know he was a boy at that time. By the end of my labor and delivery we could imagine none other than our son. What a gift he has been to us!

1 comment:

theRachel said...

Carrie! Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful and remarkable story - you're such a trooper!