Tuesday, January 20, 2009

christmas in connecticut, continued



The latter half of our Christmas trip was spent with my parents. We loaded the car once again and headed up about 1/2 hour north to stay with my parents (Nanny and Grandpa Sam) for the remainder of the trip. Immediately, Dylan fell in love with the train Grandpa Sam put around their Christmas tree. Every chance Dylan had, he enjoyed watching the train circle the base. It was so fun to watch as Dylan was intrigued by this seemingly simple contraption that went in the same circle every time. Dylan and Tucker had fun with their cousin, Jeremiah. Dylan and Jer seem to enjoy playing together more and more each time they visit. I love to watch them together. Dylan's love of trains also seemed to rub off on Jeremiah during this visit.


We spent some time with my brother and new sister-in-law, Anne. It is great fun to add another family member to the Samuelson bunch. New Years Eve brought a wonderful snow fall and a big family party. Early in the afternoon, Grandpa Sam brought Dylan out on his tractor and Dylan thought that was fantastic! Then, Grandpa Sam and Jon brought Dylan for his first sledding experience at my old middle school. Dylan had a ball, needless to say. He had never experienced snow before (real snow--you know, the kind you can sled in and make a good snowball!) and he just couldn't get enough. It brought me such joy to see the delight in his face even as he was simply walking (or trying to walk) in the 6 inch powder and trying to grab handfulls at a time. I don't know if Dylan had more fun playing or if I had more fun watching. I also have to add that this is the best way for me to experience snow. For those of you who have known me a while, you know that I absolutely do not like the cold, but I do like one really good snowfall. So, to have a great snow while visiting is perfect. I don't have to shovel anything and get to enjoy the benefits. Then I return home to Virginia where winter doesn't generally get below freezing! What's better?!

New Years Eve-ning was also a lot of fun. The Samuelson clan got together for a big party that even the snow couldn't hinder. My parents hosted the family and dad's annual ice carving was centered around Dylan's love of...what else?...trains! Dad carved a great train that Dylan did enjoy. He was all smiles.


Every New Years Day my aunt and uncle in Massachusetts have a big party to bring together my mom's side (who mostly live in MA). Unfortunately, the dark hours of the early morning woke us all to a sick Dylan. He somehow contracted the stomach bug that has been running rampant throughout the East coast (or so it seems). We decided that Jon and Dylan would stay back while the rest of us took the nearly 3 hour drive to Lexington. Jon called in for the reinforcements (aka his parents) and the three of them were able to help Dylan through his miserable day. I had thought Dylan was suffering through a 24 hour big, but unfortunately it ended up to be a week-long bug that we all proceeded to catch...all but Tucker (thank God). We delayed our return trip by a day in hopes that we'd be feeling better but it probably wouldn't have mattered much by that time. In any case, we made it home and couldn't have been more glad about that. There's nothing like your own bed when you're sick. Of course, there's nothing like your mom when you're sick (no matter how old you are) and I had her when I was there...but she was sick too! We pretty much subsisted on toast and ginger ale for the week. But we made it!...then we all got nasty colds once that bug passed. Whew--glad that's all past!





No comments: