Tuesday, February 14, 2012

happy valentine's day


Happy Valentine's Day, Mommy!!!!

Those words greeted me this morning bright and early. Dylan had been looking forward to this day for weeks and today it finally arrived. I have no idea how my five year old became so enamored with Valentine's Day. I'm certainly not the hugest fan of a day that seems to have "marketing ploy" written all over it. It's nice that there's a day set apart to show our loved ones we care, but shouldn't we be doing that more often than just once a year? I guess that's part of the reason I just don't think it's a huge deal.

And somehow, this holiday became one of Dylan's favorite days. Just about every day during these last couple weeks, he asked if it was time to write cards for his classmates yet. One day, he sat down to make cards for me out of construction paper, markers, crayons, scissors, and stickers. He was having so much fun while I wondered where in the world he found this Valentine's Day love.

Dylan gave me all the valentines today that he made for me and I loved them all. He had worked hard coloring hearts, writing his name, drawing a picture of himself throwing snowballs at his daddy, cutting out heart shapes, but most of all, working hard to give me something just because he loves me. These are some of the best gifts of all.

As a parent, I did my duty and picked up a couple Star Wars valentines from Target a few days ago. They were on sale and it was sort of an afterthought. I suppose I should have put more effort into making this a special holiday for them. I had no idea how much it would mean to the boys at such young ages (3 and 5). It's easy to forget that in the day-to-day, I am making memories for them. Memories that will last a lifetime.

Dylan's teachers mentioned to me today while I was at his class Valentine's Day party that he had told them all about the special projects he made for me and about the Start Wars valentine I gave him this morning. When I got to his party, he gave me a big hug and kiss and wished me a "Happy Valentine's Day" for maybe the fourth time today. Fast forward to bedtime and Dylan gave me yet more Valentine's Day hugs and kisses. I'm beginning to reevaluate my treatment of this "marketing ploy" of a holiday. Perhaps next year, we'll begin a fun family Valentine's Day tradition. I'm sure my tender-hearted little boy would be thrilled!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Swanky Socialite said...

Aww! Such a sweet post! Nothing more precious than little boys who love their mommies!! Happy Valentines Day to you and your whole clan!

Sue J. said...

Sharing the love--he's definitely got the idea. Love how deliberate he was about it--planning and creating. A little every day. Intentional! It sounds like the joy we have at Christmas.

Yes, the world has done its best to make this "the next big holiday after Christmas" and the Easter candy will undoubtedly be covering the shelves at Kroger tomorrow. But I'm sure your big guy won't forget all the smiles he got to give you today. Way more memorable than candy ;-)