Tuesday, June 05, 2012

happy graduation!

 


It's hard to believe that my oldest baby is now a school age boy.  He is so excited to be in Kindergarten in the fall, and has asked nearly every day for the past several months how many days until he goes to the school down the street.  I have him registered, but it's still hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that he'll be gone for so many hours of the day at school next year.  He's ready.  And me?  Well, ready or not, here we go!

He has always been incredibly self-motivated.  This was apparent when I potty trained him.  I have to use the whole "potty training" term loosely, because the truth is that he pretty much trained himself.  One day, when he was 2 years and 8 months old, he refused to allow me to change him into his first morning diaper.  No diaper means underwear in our home and that's what he wanted.  He trained himself that day.

This year, his reading has become proficient.  I would love to take credit for this, but he has intrinsic motivation to learn and do things himself.  He is a great reader and I am proud of him.  His most recent interest is learning about numbers and "doing math."  He enjoys "doing math" on this notepad.  Once again, I'm so proud of my little guy that I had to take a picture to document his little brain at work.  I love that he loves to learn.  It gives me great pleasure to see each of my children figure out the world around them.

Just today, Chloe learned to clap.  Of course, we all clapped for her once she figured out this great trick.  They're all growing up, and that is sometimes hard to swallow, but I want to try my best to take one day at a time and not take these moments for granted.

1 comment:

Sue J. said...

Swallow up every moment, even if it means feeling happy tears on your cheek or that choking up in your throat--it's all marvelous! I remember sitting with a "Spot" book that CJ got from the library, preparing to read it to her. She read the whole thing out loud to me! I didn't know she could do it. I got so choked up, I couldn't even tell her how proud I was. And she went right on to doing something else, like, no biggie, Mom. Swallow it all up, these "Mary pondered" moments....