While researching all the things I need to know for childbirth, I have come to the conclusion that I would like to have a doula with me. I know that some of you have no idea what a doula is (for more info, check out http://www.wncdoulas.com/) and I had never heard of a doula before moving to Asheville, but these are some things that make me want to have one during my labor and childbirth: Mothers who use doulas...
- tend to have shorter labors with fewer complications.
- have a reduced need for pitocin, forceps or vacuum extraction and c-sections.
- tend to less frequently request pain medication and/or epidurals.
Interesting stuff, isn't it? Do any of you have any experience with a doula? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:
Hi. I had a doula and found it to be very helpful. I would suggest you find one with massage experience because it helps with pain and relaxation. My doula brought a small water fountain (for soothing sound), fresh flowers, music and an atomizer to disperse lavendar. Some of the nurses/midwives loved it and some hated it. I found it all to be wonderful...well for what I was going through it was wonderful. I also liked the opportunity to use different laboring positions (not sure I would have thought about the ball). I hope to be a doula soon...Love ya, Cassie
kris was my doula.
Post a Comment