Sunday, June 22, 2008

a visit with friends...

Our dear friends, Joel and Charlotte, welcomed a son, Elias, to their family on my brother's birthday in 2007. We had the opportunity to meet him for the first time last weekend as their family was on their way from Georgia to the North. We are so pleased that our home was perfectly positioned for their overnight stay. Their visit reminded me of how God seems to work in some pretty amazing ways and I figured I'd share how our friendship with them has developed and grown over the years.

I grew up mostly in Easton, CT after spending the first several years of life in Fairfield, CT. Later, during high school, I became friends with a family who lived just a couple miles away. The oldest boy, Nate, and I graduated high school together (I even brought him to a sadie-hawkins type dance our senior year!) and then we ended up going to the same university (UConn). His sister Charlotte, two years younger, also studied at UConn and we became friends while there as were were both involved in InterVarsity. Meanwhile, during my high school years, I attended a youth group at my local church (Black Rock) and became friends with Joel who also was in the same graduating class as I--but in a different town. He also went to UConn. Joel and Charlotte met during Charlotte's first year at UConn InterVarsity and they quickly became friends. It wasn't long before they started dating. To make a long story short, they got married, moved to Georgia, and had a baby several years later!

When Jon and I lived in Asheville, we had a chance to make a trip down to Georgia to visit. Joel and Charlotte made a few trips to Asheville to visit us and we always had fun together. A favorite of ours was dining at Salsa's, a mexican-caribbean restaurant that serves some of the most delicious food in all of Asheville. Wow--I miss that place! It was the type of place where people start lining up outside in order to get a table when it opens. Otherwise, you might just not be able to eat there until way after your dinner time.

Needless to say, we always have a great time when we hang out with this family and we're so glad we had a chance to meet their little boy for the first time.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks, Carrie! The only thing better than Jon coming to Bethel Sem would be you. But alas, you are a busy woman these days. :) I hope you are feeling well and enjoying your new locale!

Anonymous said...

Great Picture...Dylan looks so old there.

sarah